Connecting DreamFactory to ODBC database sources, particularly FileMaker

Does anyone here have any experience with connecting DreamFactory to Filemaker databases?

FileMaker supports ODBC connections. I take it that DreamFactory either supports or could support ODBC connections through the ODBC PDO database driver. Is my understanding correct?

If anyone has any experience in connecting to FileMaker in particular or generic ODBC databases in general, I would be greatful if they could point me in the right direction. It would be appreciated. The information on the wiki, etc. (e.g. https://github.com/dreamfactorysoftware/dsp-core/wiki/SQL-Connections) is somewhat sparse.

Assuming this is doable in theory, I will document how it is done in practice for the community.

DreamFactory ? @benbusse , is connecting to Filemaker on the development pathway? If not, there are various folks (including myself) who are interested in exploring the possibility of sponsoring DreamFactory to develop such functionality for everyone. If DreamFactory is interested, please get in touch.

I take it that DreamFactory either supports or could support ODBC connections through the ODBC PDO database driver. Is my understanding correct?

That is correct. Lee, the engineer doing all the db integration, has more specifics. I’ll ask him to weigh in on FileMaker feasibility.

Assuming this is doable in theory, I will document how it is done in practice for the community.

That would be great.

DreamFactory ? @benbusse , is connecting to Filemaker on the development pathway? If not, there are various folks (including myself) who are interested in exploring the possibility of sponsoring DreamFactory to develop such functionality for everyone. If DreamFactory is interested, please get in touch.

FileMaker is not high on the product roadmap. This is the type of thing that we’d like to see systems integrators and developers integrate and contribute back to the core project. Same idea for server-side scripts (reusable design patterns shared in the community).

DSP doesn’t utilize ODBC drivers currently, as we targeted the more specific drivers originally. While FileMaker specifically isn’t currently a focus, connecting to various databases via ODBC drivers in general (several request in this area) is on the list for the database rework for Q1 of next year.

1 Like

Thanks @leehicks and @benbusse for responding.

If there is anything I can do to help the ODBC driver development process please let me know. I look forward to seeing the progress in Q1 of next year.

I am not a developer (or much of one) but have access to proper developers and if we do anything on ODBC and get it to working I will be in touch. :smile:

@gdvallance

@leehicks I’m not sure if this update is released yet? I’m using DSP 1.9.4 and I need to connect to Sybase DB. I see that PDO ODBC driver can be used to connect to Sybase through PHP so will this work with DSP? Pls let me know any other alternatives to connect to Sybase. I’m on windows setup.

The DB rework is being included on v2.0, which will be available at this new public repository.

If it does not yet include the DB integration you need, you are welcome to contribute your own integration to either repository.

I also recommend reviewing this post for a possible process for enabling Sybase connections using the already-implemented PDO ODBC driver.

The post you referred doesn’t mention any process for using PDO-ODBC driver to connect to Sybase. It was me who asked it. :relieved:
@formerstaff did mentioned using FreeTDS driver on Linux which I have a feeling should work. but since my DSP is already set up on windows server I was looking for a solution here. I guess I will just wait for DSP 2.0 as it promises a lot of things.
And sorry I don’t have much server side expertise to contribute my own DB integration. for simple PHP applications, I connect through the Sybase ASE ODBC driver which uses system DSN.

That is right. Be sure to post the process if you do figure it out! I’m sure others in the community may benefit.