Bitnami Azure SQL Server Failed to launch service CDbConnection

Hi
I have just installed the Bitnami Dreamfactory onto Azure. I am trying to connect to MS SQL Server on Azure.
I can connect to the database from Visual Studio 2015 on my local machine.
The connection string I am using is

dblib:host=databaseserver.database.windows.net:1433;dbname=PDatabase

I get the following error

Failed to launch service “poznewsapi”: CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection.

Is this an Azure issue, a Bitnami issue or a Dreamfactory issue or (most likely) something I am doing.

It is SQL Server 2012. As it is running on Azure I am not sure if I can access the error logs.

Any help appreciated.

Since the dblib driver should connect to SQL Server “out of the box,” you’re likely looking at a need to allow the remote connection into your Azure SQL instance. I found this documentation page.

To get the exact error message, you should SSH into your Azure Linux server and check the DreamFactory log. Post the error(s) here, and we can troubleshoot from there.

Once you’ve SSH’ed into your Azure Linux machine, you can also telnet to the IP/hostname where your DB is hosted on port 1433 to test/confirm the connection is being allowed.

Jeffrey thanks for your reply. Apologies for the delay in replying but I have been through numerous steep learning curves to understand and resolve the issue.

I am now able to connect to the database. The main problem (I think) was that I was using a down level version of DreamFactory. I used the version that can be searched for with Azure which is 1.6 or 1.7. To resolved the issue I deleted all my Azure components and restarted from scratch using the version from VM Depot. (I would have liked to use the 1.9.4-3 version however the Deployment Tutorial link (https://vmdepot.msopentech.com/tutorial/deploy/58928.html/) didn’t work). I settled for 1.9.4-2.

One other contributing factor was that I needed to specify the UserName as username@domain format.

Once again thanks for your help.

Ah yes, we have had several zealous customers add our software to marketplaces, but of course since they’re not managed by us they can’t be updated when we release new versions. Sorry that caused you trouble.

That is a known requirement of Azure SQL. I don’t think any other SQL service requires it. We have it documented here.