Google/Gmail says that DF Admin "doesn't meet modern security standards"

I have just made an attempt to send some emails with gmail via the api docs (and for a small amount of background, I have done this from the api docs and my app in a previous version of dreamfactory).

This time however I got a message that scared me a bit - this is the top of an email I received from google when trying to send an email (I got it on both my Apps account (business email) and personal email accounts

Hi Ben,
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account [email address redacted by me] from an app that doesn’t meet modern security standards.
Details:
Friday, February 26, 2016 1:37 PM (Eastern Standard Time)

I must say I am quite worried by Google telling me that the dreamfactory admin app “doesn’t meet modern security standards”

Can someone from DF speak to this?

It just means that you connected to your Google account using simple authentication rather than something like OAuth 2.

So perhaps I am missing something, but I set up an SMTP email service in the DF admin, sent the email (something that in the older version of DF sent successfully), and was presented with the information from the original post.

What exactly are you suggesting that I do differently (as I dont see how OAuth comes in to play when using a basic email/SMTP service)