Migrating from MySQL to...?

I’m a looong-time user of DreamFactory. I got started with v1.x. And… I’m still on v 2.8.1 (from 2017!)

Two reasons I’m on that old version. 1) I’ve got a relatively simple and small MySQL database underneath and DreamFactory changed licensing (at some point) that the MySQL integration was paid, and 2) I’ve been happy as a clam with what I’ve got.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

That said, having a migrating path forward for upgrades seems responsible.

Moving to a commercially-sold version of DreamFactory isn’t viable. The reason I like MySQL is because of phpMyAdmin. I’ve got a data admin that’s database savvy and can do the maintenance on data in the backend using it.

Q1: Is MySQL still only in the commercially sold DreamFactory product, or is it available in the community edition too?

I’d really like to stay on MySQL to avoid DBMS migration, especially to not have to rewrite some stored procedures that I coded to be able to change certain business functionality without redeploying to the app stores.

Q2: If not MySQL, then what? What DBMS is a) now supported in the community edition that b) has a phpMyAdmin-like web-based interface that’s c) quick to set up with Docker.

@skipatrolmobile Thank you for being a dedicated member of the community! We always love hearing stories of new and unique ways the tool is being used in the real world.

To answer your questions,

1. Yes MySQL/MariaDB is bundled in our commercial offering and no longer supported in our open source version.

2. There are still a variety of databases supported in our open source license with the most popular being Postgres and MongoDB.

While there is no phpMyAdmin web interface that I am aware of for Postgres, there is a wide variety of tooling around it due to its popularity. For a GUI there are tools such as DBeaver that deliver a robust client for interacting directly with the database and not only support Postgres, but virtually all other databases for free. Here you will find a great article that walks through the creation of a Postgres database in Docker as well as mounting pgAdmin which is another GUI for interacting with the database.

MongoDB and more specifically, their Atlas offering is a fully managed solution. With that, they include a GUI for interacting and managing the database. Alternatively you are able to configure Mongo on Docker and include a GUI like Mongo Express as described here.