I am hosting the DreamFactory API web server on my localhost and I am accessing it through my iOS app.

I’m new to swift and iOS development in general, However I can’t motivate my capacity to restore the outcome from an API GET ask. I am running a Microsoft SQL server on my companion’s PC and I am remotely getting to it with DreamFactory. DreamFactory is making and dealing with the API for the SQL queries. I am hosting the DreamFactory API web server on my localhost and I am accessing it through my iOS app.

This is what I have so far.

func validId() -> Bool {
    var queryId: Int = 0 // just for testing

let table = "SM.Customers"
    // this url looks like ( http://localhost:8080/api/v2/db/_table/SM.Customers/1989/?api_key=065dce537)
    let url = URL(string: "\(urlString)\(table)/\(self.id)?api_key=\(self.api_key)")!

URLSession.shared.dataTask(with: url, completionHandler: {
        (data, response, error) in
        if(error != nil){
            print(error.debugDescription)
        }else{
            do{
                self.userData = try JSONSerialization.jsonObject(with: data!, options: .allowFragments) as! [String: AnyObject]
                OperationQueue.main.addOperation {
                    queryId = self.userData["CustId"] as! Int
                    print(queryId)
                }

}catch let error as NSError{
                print(error)
            }
        }

}).resume()

return (String(queryId) == self.id)

}

I can do things under OperationQueue.main.addOperation {...} with the data that I pull from the db , but I can’t really return a value or assign the value to a variable outside of the task code block. This function will print(queryId) as 1989 but it will return false because it’s reading (String(queryId) == self.id) as (0 == 1989) .

Any advices how I can resolve this?