DreamFactory on 1and1 Cloud Server → pain+fail → Success?

I have just completed my first attempt to install DSP on a 1and1 Cloud server without using the Bitnami image following: https://wiki.dreamfactory.com/DreamFactory/Installation (General Instructions). Very painful, but mostly (completely?) not the fault of DreamFactory.

If anyone else has done this, I’d love to hear about your setup!

• Plenty of just plain server setup issues and making my way around the VPS and Plesk controls.
  • PHP update from 5.4 to 5.6 was a bear, but I seem to have that working.
  • Terrible time trying to figure out if it is possible and how to reference a linked directory where I had seemly successfully installed DSP. Gave up and copied files over.

In the end:

• php artisan serve → /usr/lib64/php/modules/ioncube_loader_lin_5.4.so undefined symbol: execute
  • apache server: “Whoops, looks like something went wrong.”

I really was hoping that this would be easier. Not really expecting any help, but wanted to throw this out and see. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try the Bitnami image and if that works, try to engineer it back to the VPS I would like to eventually target. Thanks for looking!

1 Like

Update: I was able to get the DreamFactory server running in the 1and1 VPS very easily. All, my issues were with the PHP installation. My solution was, rather than updating the server PHP from v5.4 to v5.6, I ran the install scripts with the Plesk PHP v5.6 version.

Here are those steps in a nutshell running in ssh on the VPS:

• su root
  • yum install git
  • cd /var/www
  • git clone https://github.com/dreamfactorysoftware/dreamfactory.git ./df2 from here
  • export PATH=/opt/plesk/php/5.6/bin:$PATH
  • composer.json - removed require df-mongodb
  • composer install --no-dev
  • From Plesk control panel: Created MySql database dreamfactory/dreamfactory/pwd
  • Back on VPS
  • Moved df2 directory to VPS:/var/www/localhost.localdomain so it could be accessed

From here I could access both the DreamFactory Console and make API requests. Note: this is NOT the final solution though, because the server configuration is not right. My current thinking is that I want the DF Console, the DF API, and my web app all under the same domain name with an SSL certificate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the instructions! This is helpful for the community.

Thank you so much @EricElf, this is great. Definitely success! Glad to hear it’s all set up now.

How are you using DreamFactory?

Thanks!
@AlexBowen

I have lots of ideas for DF as a general server-side component for my iOS Apps. I also have a specific need for data sharing across devices for MySongbook app. That is under current evaluation.

Eric

1 Like